Monday, June 3, 2013

HeroesCon Bound!



This weekend me and a mess of other Athens, Georgia folks are headed up to Charlotte, NC for HeroesCon, one of the more charming indie friendly comic conventions. It's a fun three day show, lots of notable guests, cheap beat-up old comics, etc., but the best thing about HeroesCon is hanging out with a lot of friends I only get to see once a year if I don't run into them at FLUKE. Sure I like finding deals on out of print books I've been hunting for year, but I really like seeing and meeting people at these shows. People are great. 

You can find me at table AA-1023 in Indie Island selling my usual assortment of stuff.


I'll have issues of Big Deal Comics & Stories for sell, specifically issues #10-13. I've sold out of the first nine issues, which collected stand alone comic strips that appeared in Flagpole Magazine from 1997-2006. So, out with the old and in with the new. These later issues are longer self contained stories with monsters, ghosts, lovers, breakups and various weather conditions. Since it wasn't ready in time for FLUKE, this will be the debut of Big Deal Comics & Stories #13, featuring "The Grizzly". It's about a bear, constellations, blackouts, social anxiety, rooftops, and mysterious whistling from the woods. You'll like it. 


I will also have my five dollar black & white sketches for sale. Most of them are of monsters, but you know what? I take requests. If you show up at my table and have something specific in mind, then I will knock that out. Still, it helps to have reference material on hand. Who wants a Ultraman that's only 56% correctly drawn? Dr. Who villains, Star Wars creatures, Banana Splits members, you name it. If you're coming to HeroesCon and you want me to do you a commission in advance, email me or leave me a message on Facebook or Twitter me or however the heck you want to communicate with me. 


Sharing my table space is Robert Newsome, co-coordinator of FLUKE; Athens, Georgia's Mini-Comics & Zine Festival. We'll have past FLUKE anthology books for sale as well as FLUKE t-shirts from 2009 and 2012. These FLUKE books are packed with some great comics from a wide variety of talented contributors. You can't go wrong with a single one of them.


Also, 11x17 prints of Box Brown's 2013 FLUKE poster, screen printed in vivid colors (NOT PICTURED AT ALL). 
Newsome will have copies of his wrestling zine The Atomic Elbow for sale too. The most comprehensive and finest wrestling zine on the market today. Of course you want to read it.                                                            


See you at HeroesCon. I mean, if you're going. If not, I probably may never see you. Tragic.


No comments:

Post a Comment